It's so nice to be able to spend the whole day in the NICU and help take care of the girls. We're getting into a routine where I take temperatures and change diapers before most feedings now. In the morning I pump (8:00-8:30) and then get Avery ready and out to the breast and to snuggle for about an hour while she gets her feeding through her NG tube (8:30-9:30). She tried to latch on today, but was a little too tired to stick with it so we just had some good cuddle time. Our nurse takes care of Camille's feeding during this time. Then it's Brelynn's turn so I put Avery back and take Brelynn's temp and change her diaper and get her out to snuggle for an hour (9:30-10:30). Then pumping (10:30-11:00), a trip to the bathroom, a quick lunch, and it's Camille's turn. She's still a little to small to try to go to the breast, so she gets to have kangaroo care for about two hours (12:00-2:00). After another pumping session, I take a nap or read for awhile, wash all my bottles, and have a snack. Dan comes up at 5:30 and visits for awhile then we head home, have dinner, and after another pumping session it's off to bed.
Avery is tolerating her NG feeds really well and was pretty content today. I dressed her in regular preemie clothes since her IV is out now and they are HUGE on her! Brelynn is tolerating her feedings well, too. She is about 50/50 for oral feeds and IV feeds and making good progress. She is generally remembering to breathe, but occasionally still forgets for a few seconds then figures it out. Camille is doing really well with her feedings, too, and if she continues to do well she'll be off the IV by tomorrow night. She was having a bit more trouble remembering to breathe today and had quite a few 'episodes' where either the nurse or I had to go and wake her up to remind her to breathe. Scary, but I guess this is still pretty normal for preemies.

Connor Stoddard says congratulations! He asks about you often and was so excited when Andy told us you had the babies. They sound wonderful. My thoughts and prayers stay with you guys as they progress and grow. Take care. -Angela
ReplyDeleteI was JUST searching for an update on Facebook and was SO happy to see that you had one on your blog =o) Hehehe! I'm SOOOO glad the girls are doing well and that they are starting to take to the breast! That is so exciting and becomes a very awesome bonding time that I really love having with Brooklynn. In fact, I was just thinking and wondering if you were able to start trying to breast feed, so that's awesome! I'm so excited for you Brenda!
ReplyDeleteYou look so great too!! I can already see your pregnancy weight just melting off of you! Pretty crazy how fast it comes off too huh?
We'd love to try and get together with you guys some time soon! I'll shoot you and email and see what your schedule looks like.
Missed sitting by you guys at church!