Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Saturday, February 6, 2010

Poor Avery

We finally figured out why Avery was so grumpy last week and why she was running a fever. It was a kidney infection! It started last Tuesday when the girls all got a few shots. Wednesday and Thursday Avery had a low grade fever that I attributed to the shots. No big deal. Then Friday and Saturday it started going up into the 101-102 range and she wasn't eating very well and definitely not sleeping well. By Sunday her temp was around 103 but of course the dr's office is closed on Sundays so Monday morning I called and we got her an appt that afternoon. She was a trooper and saw the doctor who got a urine sample, blood sample, and gave her a check up. Her urine culture showed that she had a pretty serious infection. The doctor actually considered admitting her to the hospital for IV antibiotics, but she was still smiling and acting pretty normal so he let us come home after Avery got two shots of antibiotics. We had to go back the next day and her fever was already down and she was doing quite a bit better so now she's just on oral antibiotics for 10 days. We do need to figure out why she got this, so Monday she and I will spend most of the afternoon at Children's where she'll get a renal ultrasound and a VCUG to make sure there's no anatomical reason for the kidney infection. She is back to her happy, smiling self already. How stressful!!!

1 comment:

  1. SO scary! I'm glad that Avery is feeling better but I can only imagine how intense the past week has been. When things calm down, we should chat again. I hope Monday goes well.

    All my best,
    Kari

    ReplyDelete